Pages

Monday 4 April 2016

Hair

I wasn't planning on doing this so early, but my chemo dosage has just been increased again, so here we go!  

My hair - December 2015
For the past 18 months or so, I have been growing out my hair, and now have a man-bun which is several inches long. There are a couple of reasons for this, the first, but least prominent, being me experimenting hairstyles as I have been since the beginning of secondary school. More importantly, due to still being on chemotherapy, my hair is very thin, so I wanted to grow it long to create the illusion of thickness (you could see my scalp through my hair when it was shorter). 


However, the most important reason is that I have been planning on shaving it off all along


On the 3rd May, I will be taking on The Big Buzz for CLIC Sargent and shaving my head back to the wood to raise money for children and young people with cancer, and their families. 

My LPT wig - October 2013
The reason for the growth is that my hair is now over 7 inches long, I can donate my cut hair to Little Princess Trust, to be made in to a wig for a young person who has lost their hair. LPT provided me with an amazing acrylic wig whilst I was going through the intensive stage of my treatment, so it would be great to give something back to them, and maybe help another young person... provided my hair is good enough quality! 



The dosage of my chemo tablets has just been increased again, as per the protocol. This isn't a problem for me, but every time the dosage is increased, my hair weakens, gets thinner and molts easier, so I've brought the date of my Big Buzz forward. 

My fundraising goal for this challenge is £170, which would fund an initial CLIC Sargent grant, which is given to a young person within the first 72 hours of a cancer diagnosis. This is to help with the initial additional incurred costs, such as travel and accommodation, and was greatly helpful to myself and my family. 

I have set up a JustGiving page if anybody would like to sponsor me - if 100 people sponsor me £1.70, I will have hit my target! https://www.justgiving.com/petebigbuzz 

Thanks for reading! 

Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment